2018 is shaping up to be another marvelous year for Berrett-Koehler. Here are 7 reasons why I'm excited for the coming year:1. We've made a great leap forward in the distribution of BK books around the world
BK titles are now distributed around the world by Penguin Random House Publisher Services (PRHPS). It is an indication of our growing brand and sales that we have been able to move our trade distribution to the distribution arm of the largest trade-book publisher in the world, which has the largest US sales forces and the largest international sales forces calling on chain bookstores, independent bookstores, and special sales accounts—and which also has the most advanced supply chain in the world for broad, timely, and efficient distribution of books across all channels.
2. BK Professional is taking off.As the first stage of the expansion of the BK Professional publishing program, we have completed integration into BK systems of the 127 titles we acquired from Management Concepts Press that cover topics on project management, federal acquisition and contracting, federal financial management, leadership, and public administration. New BK executive editor Charlotte Ashlock is leading the acquisition of new BK Professional titles. We are in the process of hiring a new director of professional publishing. And we will soon be expanding our list in other professional fields.
3. Our best authors are coming back for seconds.In 2018 we will publish new books and new editions by 19 previous BK authors, all but two of whom have written previous bestselling BK books, including 16 titles that have sold over 100,000 copies each. We are fortunate that so many BK authors return to BK with their next books. Check out our latest catalog for a preview of our Spring 2018 list.
4. Our new author pool is incredibly promising.We will also publish 25 titles in 2018 by authors who are new to BK, including some who have published previous bestselling books with other publishers as well as some who are publishing their first book. We are especially excited to be publishing On the Brink of Everything: Grace, Gravity, and Getting Old by Parker Palmer—one of the most beloved and bestselling authors of books on education, community, spirituality, and leadership—in June 2018. Here's a Facebook livestream we shot with Parker on his Author Day.
5. BK's author diversity is expanding.For some years we have been making a concerted effort to increase the number of female authors and authors of color among the BK author base. And we are making good progress. Of our 2018 publications, 40 percent are written by female authors and 30 percent are written by authors of color.
6. We are aiming for the stars with digital marketing.BK is also making good progress on several initiatives to advance our marketing systems and capabilities. Our new blog at ideas.bkconnection.com launched late 2017 and has already hit 3,000 subscribers! Our email lists also saw healthy growth last year—and we are planning to launch more robust email marketing calendar in 2018. If you haven't already, you can subscribe to our blog here—and if you would like to submit a post, see our submission guidelines here.
7. And we are opening up new lines of business.The Servant Leadership Online Training Summit in October 2017—a collaboration between BK, Ken Blanchard, and Conscious Marketer—was a big success, with almost 20,000 people from 146 countries participating. In 2018 we are building on this success by partnering with The Ken Blanchard Companies on The Servant Leaders in Action Livecast, by planning a big new online summit (tentatively titled “Women Leaders Rise”), and by planning an online training course.
None of this would be possible without the great support of our tremendous BK authors and numerous other wonderful members of the BK community. We are grateful to you.